Vacancy Netherlands Business Hub Nairobi
Business Developer Agri-Food
The Netherlands Business Hub opened in 2015 in Nairobi to promote, support and service Dutch business in East-Africa. It contributes to strong economic relations between the Netherlands and East-Africa. The NL Business Hub is an initiative by the Dutch business community and the Dutch Embassy in Nairobi, facilitated by the Netherlands African Business Council (NABC) and the Netherlands Water Partnership (NWP). The NL Business Hub primarily is a commercial service organization that provides members and clients with market information and networks, with possibilities to participate in programs targeting business opportunities, and with hands-on services like partner search, trade missions, representation and serviced office space.
The Business Developer will cover the theme of agriculture, including horticulture, livestock and dairy, aquaculture and technology. (S)he will report to the Managing Director of the Netherlands Business Hub Nairobi and liaise closely with the NABC sector advisor for Kenya in the Netherlands.
The position is initially offered for a one-year period with possibility for extension.
Main duties of the ‘Business Developer Agri-Food’ are:
1. Strategically develop and grow Agri-food / advisory services as a theme and business unit in the NL Business Hub and as a sector in the bilateral economic relations between Kenya and the Netherlands
2. Promote and position the position the Dutch agriculture sector, in particular members of the NL Business Hub, in Kenya and East Africa, based on good market information of the relevant subsectors
3. Develop, acquire and manage strategic and relevant agriculture related programs and exploit opportunities and synergies with Dutch funded ‘aid to trade’ programmes for the Dutch and Kenyan private sector.
4. Inform and advise actors in Kenya, East Africa and the Netherlands about opportunities and Dutch solutions, including access to finance.
5. Coordinate and collaborate with the Netherlands African Business Council; and other sector organisations if and when relevant.
6. Overall, support the NL Business Hub in the provision of high-quality products and services to members and clients and engage in other tasks such as marketing and reporting.
We are looking for a candidate disposing of the following background:
- Over 10 years of experience in agriculture of which at least 5 years in agribusiness, including all steps in the agricultural value chain.
- Knowledge and experience in areas such as water technology, food processing and marketing would be an asset.
- Minimal Bachelors degree, but preferably a Masters Degree in relevant subjects such as Agriculture, Food-technology or (agri-food related) Business Management.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with proven strategic and practical abilities: The candidate has had direct responsibility for acquisition and commercial activities e.g. in consulting. (S)he must be a pro-active networker with a good eye for business opportunities and able to secure business through members and clients of the NL Business Hub.
- Track record in program development / project management / reporting / writing; familiar with key Agriculture Funding opportunities/partners. Experience in consortium building would be an extra advantage.
- Must be familiar with relevant actors in the Agricultural Sector of Kenya / East-Africa and / or the Netherlands. Candidate must have an established ‘Agriculture Network’ in Kenya / East-Africa, e.g. among business, multilateral financial institutes and donors, and have good working relationships with the agricultural sector in the Netherlands. (S)he must be familiar with working in Africa, preferably having lived and worked over 5 years in Kenya / East-Africa and/or currently residing in Kenya.
In addition, the following personal aptitudes and skills are required:
- Strong relationship management and networking skills; a team-player.
- A service-oriented self-starter mentality, able to define and attain targets within pre-set timeframes.
- Excellent diplomatic, social and interpersonal skills, displays sensitivity regarding cultural differences.
- Excellent (proposal) writing and communication skills in English, preferably also (basic) command of Dutch language.
- High Profile International Work Environment
- Health insurance (local)
- Salary up to 350,000 Ksh gross per month
- Travel both in Kenya and abroad can be required
If you fit this profile we invite you to apply for this position by sending your CV and motivation letter in English latest by 30 May 2016 to: firstname.lastname@example.org